Monday, August 19, 2013

Sleep Training

Recently, Alice lost her voice. She sounded like a very small, baby-talking Kathleen Turner. She lost her voice because of the four consecutive nights of scream-crying as we Cried It Out.





While M was performing in a show in NYC in June/July, Alice and I were on the road. We hit six different beds in three weeks (two in Regina, one in Vancouver, one in Chilliwack, back to the same one in Vancouver, one in Brooklyn, and then pull-out in our empty apartment.) The only constant for her was her turtle nightlight, "The Itsy-Bitsy Spider" and my boob. I used all three to their fullest extent. So, obvs, we now have some major sleep problems.

We're in the second week of Ferbering, and it's actually starting to work. She now cries for a few minutes at bedtime, then, as we can see through the grainy footage on the video monitor, lies down and  pokes at her stuffed dog until she falls asleep.

But the problem is that we all sleep in the same room. So when she wakes up at 11pm (and then 2am, 4am and finally 6) she peeks over and can see that we're ignoring her. "Guys? Guys!" The book recommends that the parent responsible for checking in on her (me) leave the room after reassuring her. So last night I gave her a little kiss on the head then sat on the couch until she was asleep again. And it worked- she conked out right away after I left the room at 11pm, 3am, 4:30am, (Ok, I broke down and fed her at 4, but still.)

It means I'm leaving the room three times a night.  I had a fantastic nap this morning thanks to my husband, who is not yet steeped in school. But I still feel drugged. I leave the apartment and stand on the front walkway, trying to remember why I left. I sit on the living room floor with Alice, staring into the distance while absently making a stuffed dog dance. I cry for no reason. Something needs to change.

In researching sleep training, I wanted to see if there was any other technique than CIO, and came across a blog post about alternatives. It's written from the perspective of the mother talking directly to the baby, ("I cradle you in my arms, and gently feed you back to sleep," that kind of thing) and describes the co-sleeping method to an older baby who wakes up frequently. The mother feeds, then cuddles, then rocks, then walks her baby until she falls asleep again, over and over again throughout the night. All to avoid crying. This is the method she's using to deal with the situation, not the problem she's trying to solve. I respect a mother's choice as to how to raise her babies, as long as its not hurting them. And I'm sure there are lots of great alternatives to CIO. But this seems like hell to me. It seems like my present situation.

So who knows how long this will last, her sleeping only 2-3 hours at a time, waking up frequently, my standing in the grocery store, staring at a piece of fish for 3 minutes. Hopefully this will work. Any advice is appreciated.


5 comments:

  1. There should be an "It Gets Better" campaign for new moms. You've started down this Feber road and it's starting to work. Good! Keep going! It's absolute hell for a really long time, but it gets better. People used to tell me: "Sleep when the baby sleeps", but then when the hell would I get anything done? But TRY. Nap when she naps and laundry be damned. Your sanity is more important than clean underpants (but just barely. And try not to get into an accident). If it helps at all, Kate was horrendous and got me up every two hours for what seemed like a lifetime (but was really a fortnight - Monty Python) and now she sleeps like the dead. It really does get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (By the way, it's me, your sister Laura. Weird username)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I keep hearing! That it does work, and it's for the best for them. I just have this feeling that I'm not permanently damaging her by doing this either - that it's for the best for her.

      Delete
  3. We too did sleep training, it was so horrible. Seriously the worst part of being a mom hands down. We were so desperate for some decent sleep. I tried doing CIO but couldn't stand it and after the second night I kept going in there after about 10 minutes of crying. We ended up going with a slightly softer method that involved going in there to do checks/patting after 15 minutes, after about 30 minutes Mahesh would go in there and pat Kiran until he slept. That pretty much worked eventually. But there's a lot more to it, daytime sleep is important too! I followed a chart I found on the babycenter sleep blog for age-appropriate wake/nap times, etc, I can forward it to you if you want. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! Naps are a whole other ball of stress.

      Delete